December 31, 2017

Highlights of 2017

Welcome to 2018, everyone!

With each year that passes, we make memories we eventually keep for years to come. It's been a tradition on this blog to dedicate an entry to recapping all the highlights from the past year. 

2017 was one interesting year and today, I want to look back on all the memories I made and experiences I had that made my year.

These are the highlights of my 2017.
1. At the start of the year, one of our dogs, Hershey, gave birth to five puppies -- Rocket, Boxer, Dixie, Nash, and Tiny.


2. Last February, I had my very first photoshoot with my friends Jenn, Robert, and Monica!


3. Since then, I've published five volumes of portraits! Check: Portraits



4. My blockmates and I competed in our department's yearly celebration week called BehSciYad where we placed second in the dance performance, a first for the freshmen block in years!



5. For my sociology class, my blockmates and I went to Ronggot, Laguna where we met with the locals to learn about their culture and religion. Read: Laguna 2017

Photo by Pauline Disuanco
6. Before the end of the semester, I joined my church's high school camp as part of the Activities and Documentation Team! It was my first time being part of the staff for camp and I can definitely say that it's a completely unique experience with its own faith-stretching moments and God-encounters.

7. This year marked the completion of my first year in college. This was a very huge encouragement to me especially in this new chapter of my life, and I'm beyond grateful I got to do it with these people by my side!

8. Beyoncé gave birth to her twins, Sir and Rumi.

Photo by Pauline Disuanco
9. At the end of June, I attended my first college camp and my sixth youth camp overall. There, I spent time with my close friends, reconnecting with old ones, and finding myself in God's arms yet again.

10. Immediately after camp, I flew to the United States to spend time with my relatives there. Read: Houston

11. There, I met my baby cousin Ilan for the first time.

12. I wrote and published my first entry on faith. It's one of the hardest entries I've ever written taking me nearly a month and a half to finish writing it. It's one of my favorite entries I've ever written and I'm happy that I have this platform to share not only my victories with God, but also my struggles with Him. Read: Loving Jesus On The Hard Days

13. This year, I finally got to visit New York. It's been my dream to come to the Big Apple and though I only spent ten hours there, the experience I had was breathtaking. Read: 10 Hours in New York

14. While in the United States, I had the opportunity of watching a production of The Lion King at the Houston Center for the Performing Arts.

15.My blog reached 8,000 views while my Facebook page reached 100 likes this year! It still surprises me that people from all over the world read my entries and for that I am beyond grateful.

16. Last July, I decided to eat healthier and better so to help me monitor my progress, I started the @whatdoesluiseat IG account!

17. Last August, I began my second year in college!

18. Since then, I've begun commuting to and from school!

19. In the same month, I had the opportunity of watching a production of West Side Story at the Solaire Theatre with my mom. West Side Story's score is one of my absolute favorites, so to finally be able to see the production live was a real treat for me!

20. A month into the semester, I partnered with my church's youth ministry to start the UP Manila Frontline -- a weekly Bible study and support group for those within the UP Manila community who are part of my church community or are interested in getting to know the faith and who God is.

21. This year, I attended my first ever convention. My friend Andy and I went to Komikon Indieket at the Bayanihan Center in Pasig last September where I bought so much komiks and merchandise. I absolutely loved the entire experience and I can't wait to go next con!

22. I went to the Manila International Book Fair with my mom where I bought so much books from both local and international authors and publishers.

23. Last September, I started meeting my discipler regularly. The accountability and genuine, vulnerable conversations that I've had with my discipler has not only encouraged me during my trials, but it has also been pushed me to get to know God more.

24. This year, I found joy in reading my Bible. Instead of having a fixed schedule for my devotions, I started reading my Bible whenever I had free time within the day -- when I'm on a jeep waiting for the other passengers, while I'm in a coffee shop during my break, on the way to school in the morning, or even while I'm laying in bed before I go to bed. Having my devotions integrated in my day outside of a routine has really blessed my relationship with God and it's something I'm planning to continue in the new year.

25. Last October, my mom and I returned to the Solaire Theatre to watch a production of The Sound of Music. I had never seen the movie prior so I came with no idea what the musical was all about. The production was so beautiful and the story very touching.

26. I attended the Scout Creative Talks 2017 at the SM Aura Premier with some of my fellow church leaders! There, I watched professionals in the creative industry speak about their craft. I left the event immensely inspired and motivated to work on my craft.

27. For my humanities class, I attended my first symphony at the Cultural Center of the Philippines. The Philharmonic Orchestra performed that night and it was absolutely breathtaking just how beautiful the pieces and their execution were.

28. Last October, I finally turned eighteen. Read: Eighteen

29. My family and friends threw me a surprise birthday party. Read: Celebrating Eighteen

30. For my geology class, my blockmates and I travelled to Tanay, Rizal where we studied waterfalls and the rocks around the area! This was my second fieldwork of the year and my third fieldwork since I started studying in UP.

31. After my geology fieldwork, my blockemates and I spent the afternoon at an adventure camp in Rizal where I went on a zipline for the first time!

32. After about a year and a half, I finally cut my hair short.

33. At the start of December, my friends Jeremiah and Camille and I went on a quick trip to the National Museum which is my third time this year! We went around the Fine Arts and Anthropology buildings where we saw portraits, paintings, and artefacts of our culture. We even had a quick portraits shoot around the complex!

36. Last week, I went on a quick retreat in Tagaytay with some of my church friends!

37. After the retreat, I finished my driving lessons!

38. This year, I attended several of my friends' debuts and birthday celebrations.

39. Throughout the year, I had the opportunity of meeting up with so many of my close friends! If you and I set a date or we spontaneously hung out because we happened to be at the same place at the same time, I'm happy we got to meet this year!

So much happened in 2017. With everything that happened last year, I'm hopeful for what's to come in the new year. At the end of each year, I find myself wondering how the new year will top the year that had just passed. But if my God is truly the same today as He was yesterday, then I can be certain there will be plenty of moments of pruning, experiences of grace, and unexpected God-encounters that will make the new year better than last.

Have a blessed new year, everyone!