November 2, 2017

Eighteen

Turning eighteen is a pretty huge thing and I'm not going to lie, I've been eagerly waiting to turn eighteen. Eighteen has always been an important age for me because it meant that I was an adult, someone who's independent and capabable of making wise decisions. But as I came closer to my eighteenth birthday, I realized that the journey to eighteen was just as important as turning eighteen itself.

The roads that led me to where I am right now weren't always easy and smooth. There were roadblocks and detours along the way. But these setbacks, though discouraging, never succeeded in leaving me down on the ground. With each trial I faced, I took with me lessons that have (hopefully) changed me for the better and everything that I've been through in my eighteen years on this planet, the most important lesson I've picked up is to always be hopeful.

For me, being hopeful is more than just seeing past our situation or seeing the big picture. It's more than just being optimistic and looking at the brighter side of things. Being hopeful is having faith that things will work out and being at peace with the possibility that the outcome of our situation won't always be what we expect. It involves surrendering to God not only our situation, but also our expectations.

Though the joy that comes from surrender measures far beyond the doubts of the heart, surrendering my situation to God is always a faith-stretching experience. It's like a never-ending debate between my faith and my doubts. But God makes His love known. In spite of my uncertainties, He reveals more of who He is and that hope is nowhere near lost.

When I look back at everything I've been through, I am reminded of how far Hope has brought me. I find rest knowing that the same Hope that saved me from surrendering to my situation before is the same Hope that I surrender to now. My heart is full knowing that hope is gracious and full of compassion. That even before I raise the white flag, Hope parades through the streets of my heart declaring victory and that it is good. Knowing my surrender is to a Hope that never fails, my anxious heart knows peace and I find myself hopeful on the path to nineteen.