May 3, 2015

April Favourites

Hello everyone! I am back with another set of favourites all from the month of April. As usual, the links to some of the things I mention will be at the end of the post.

~ Disclaimer: I am not paid to advertise any of the things that I mention below. I also am not affiliated with any of the companies that I mention below. ~

Julie & Julia
I've always wanted to watch this movie because of many things. First of all, it's Meryl Streep. Who doesn't love Meryl Streep? (Probably a lot of people) Second of all, there's food involved. Who doesn't love a movie about food? The movie follows the lives of two different cooks. In the early 1950s or so, Julia Child, portrayed by Meryl Streep, embarks on a culinary journey that eventually leads her to become a well-known chef and author. The timeline of Julie Powell, portrayed by Amy Adams, is set in the early 2000s. She creates a blog where she tells stories about her attempts to create the dishes found in Child's cookbook. Both Streep and Adams were amazing in this movie. It's a wonderful movie that I recommend for people who loves food and blogging.

Freedom Writers
I was with my friends this past month and we remembered this movie during our conversations. I remembered watching it a few years back and absolutely loving it. So, I watched it again this past month and I am very happy. In this film, Hilary Swanks portrays Erin Gruwell, a new teacher, who tries to connect with and help her students who are affected and influenced by racial discrimination, gang wars and political injustice. In spite of the lack of support from the people around her, Gruwell continues to work on her students. It's a very inspiring movie about many things, but I think the most evident theme that I saw was: teachers have a huge influence on their students. It's a movie that's very much worth your time. There is cursing in the movie so if you're bothered by that then I suggest caution. If you're an educator, I really encourage you to watch this movie.

America
This past month, I flew to the States with my family for vacation. It's been a long time since I last visited and it was great to be back there. We stayed with our relatives and had so much fun with them. I ate at Panda Express and In-n-Out, places that you should definitely go to because they are amazing. I will say that I gained a few pounds after that trip, but thankfully, a lot of walking was involved in the whole trip so I probably would've gained more if I didn't walk so much. We also went to Universal Studios and that was like heaven to me (film enthusiast over here). I think I most enjoyed the Studio Tour because it brought us around the actual sets of movies and TV shows. The part of the tour that really got me interested was the airplane crash set from the movie "War of the Worlds". There was an actual Boeing 747 that they destroyed for the movie, and that's just one of the numerous things that they bought and destroyed for the movie. 

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver from "Avengers: Age of Ultron"
Why not the entire movie? For a lot of reasons that I might share in a different blog post. But for this post, the focus is on the Maximoff twins. Don't worry I won't spoil the movie for you which means you can keep reading. Elizabeth Olsen and Aaron Taylor-Johnson's portrayal of two well-known superheroes in the Marvel universe is outstanding. With their performance, you can really see and feel the connection between twins, their pain, and their power. Aside from that, both of the characters are amazing. They bring new elements onto the MCU and it's exciting to see the change they're going to bring. They were the highlights of the movie for me. Go watch Avengers now!

Taya Smith of Hillsong UNITED
If you don't know who Taya Smith is, she is a member of Hillsong UNITED and the vocals behind Oceans (Where Feet May Fail) and Wake among other songs. But it's not the songs that she led that brings her to my favourites. It's her passion to worship God and lead others to worship God that brings her here. Whenever she leads worship, people can't help but sing along and praise God with her because of her genuine love for God that compels her to lead with so much passion. Her vocals are always on point too but that's only a bonus. She is worship leading goals to be quite honest.

"Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)" by Hillsong United
Speaking of Taya Smith, here's the song that she's most probably known for leading. Oceans is such an amazing song, and I'm not saying that because other people love it or stuff like that. This song is not just a worship song. It's a prayer to God. This past month, I really connected with this song on a very strong level. Listening to it gives me the chills. I don't think I'll ever get tired of listening to it. If you haven't listened to it, there's a link at the end of the post to my favourite version of Oceans.

"Bring Him Home" by Josh Groban
I am tremendously pleased with this rendition of the Broadway song from Les Misérables. Josh Groban gives justice to this song in his version and it is amazing. I mean nothing can beat Alfie Boe's version but this is just heaven to the ears (well to my ears at least). I can't properly express how pleased I am with this song so just listen to it later. Link is below.

My Drunk Kitchen
This past month, I have been hooked onto this web show hosted by the one and only, Hannah Hart. Hannah Hart, who is a New York Times Best Selling author for her book, My Drunk Kitchen, shows the world how to create different cook different kinds of foods while she enjoys a good glass of alcohol. She basically cooks while she's sort of drunk. Not the most ideal thing to do (which she does mention in some of her videos) but tell that to her one million subscribers. She not only brings joy to my heart (hart) by cooking but she inspires me to do what I'm passionate about and inspire others to the the same. I know some of you might be bothered by drinking and even more by drunk cooking, but I hope you see good in the things that Hannah Hart does.


And that is all the things that I have been loving this past month. I hope you enjoyed reading them and that you check them out. Again, links will be below. That is all I have for you guys today!

Until Next Time!
~Luis~

Links:
Oceans (Where Feet May Fail): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDAt7ZWeamA


0 comments:

Post a Comment